Sunday 6 December 2009

"I Am Taking Off My Kippah"

Someone sent me an essay, by Rabbi Dr. Nathan Lopes Cordozo, entitled "I Am Taking Off My Kippah" and asked me for my comments. After reading the essay, I thought it would be interesting to put the link to the essay, http://www.cardozoschool.org/show_article.asp?article_id=665&cat_id=1&parent_id=1&subcat_id=46&cat_name=Jewish, on the blog and ask for comments from others as well.

The essay is clearly most interesting...but the real issue for me centres on our very understanding of the purpose of Torah in general. There is the practical question of whether this practice, or lack of practice, will have a positive effect or not -- but there is another question: whether the goal of Torah is as Rabbi Cordozo perceives it to be?

Please share with us your thoughts and in a future comment I will share mine.

Rabbi Ben Hecht

No comments: