Tuesday 25 September 2007

19th Yahrtzeit of my Dad Harry Wolpoe OBM - 14 Tishrei

Originally published 9/25/07, 7:35 PM, Eastern Daylight Time.
There is much to say about my Dad. I will be brief and recall the Talmud's irony about the mourning of the individual vs. the celebration of the masses.

My Father passed on Erev Sukkos. While most observant Jews were celebrating Zman Simchoseinu, I was mourning my beloved Father following a two hour Shiv'a. It was a very tough time. How could I be happy in that situation? And yet, how could I completely ignore Simchas Yom Tov? It was a dilemma I do not wish upon others.

OTOH, my son Zvi was born on Rosh Chodesh Av. Zvi is named after my late Dad. His Bris was Erev Tisha b'av. That night, whilst I leined Eicha for my congregation, I betrayed a smile as my personal Joy over-rode the public mourning for our Two Temples, etc.

And so there is indeed a God. or for me it is all too often The God of Cosmic Irony. The Divine King who visits death at the height of Joy and brings Joy at the height of mourning

Chag Somey'ach,
RRW

No comments: