Tuesday 9 October 2007

Dealing with the Passionate vs. the Reasonable

Originally published 10/9/07, 1:45 PM, Eastern Daylight Time.
From the Avodah list:
On 10/7/07, regalkit@aol.comwrote:
The sefer, [i.e. Vayoel Moshe] in my humble opinion, is full of these misrepresentations; can someone guide me as to how I can understand a Godol Hador's writings?
Thank You.
Binyomin Hirsch


Never having  read this sefer, I cannot comment on the specifics...
Let me quote these principles on the general question:
  • "As soon as passionate advocacy enters, reasonable judgment and fair-minded balance exits"
  • "One can be either an advocate for a position, or be a dispassionate objective observer but it is well-nigh impossible to serve both causes justly."
  • "Hevu masunim bedin"
  • and al Tadin Yehcidi, etc.
Maybe the best check for any published work is constant peer review and to never accept the position of a "gadol" by his own authority alone.

Example: The Rambam was a Gadol but he stated many controversial positions. AFAIK only Teimanim accept his positions [almost] wholesale. Certainly, R. Yosef Karo did not. The beauty of the Beis Yosef and the Rema is that generally they surveyed a wide-consensus of "gedolim" and rarely relied upon a single idiosyncratic view. I endorse that methodology wholeheartedly. In that sense I would state of myself that I am accepting of Gedolim in general and a skeptic regarding any specific Gadol 's pronouncements.
--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe@Gmail.com

No comments: