Monday 24 February 2014

Woman Leaves her Marriage and Her Frumkeit

«It was best not to speak of such things. Amid the vast number of religious rules, there were other ones, enforced not by God but by the community. I learned to swallow dissent. To observe the rules was to be good, and to be good was to be loved. It was what let you stay inside a community, surrounded by family so that, if the world's spinning were halted for one moment, and a finger placed on one small spot, you could say: I belong here.

I stayed inside. I followed the rules. I got engaged at the age of 22, after a blind date and a dozen weeks of dating. I was a senior in college, he in law school. We were of the same world, and fell quickly, easily in love. Nowhere was there room to say, I don't yet know myself, let alone you.»
Divorced From My Husband, and My Faith - NYTimes.com
http://nyti.ms/1gY0Jd7

Mobile:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opinionator/2014/02/19/divorced-from-my-husband-and-my-faith/


Kol Tuv,
RRW

No comments: