Saturday 8 February 2020

More on Ad Hominems

originally posted May 18, 2013

A quick point:
I have actually written things in my own hand that did not represent what I MEANT to say.

Illustration:
I "penned" something like this:
Despite Hazal being heavily influenced by Greek culture they did not let it impact their Halachic decisions.
A wise rabbi wrote me privately - did you MEAN this?
I replied NO! I clarified it with him and then corrected my post:
Despite Hazal being heavily aware of Greek culture they did not let it impact their Halachic decisions.
My original post was mis-leading because it was not carefully written.

Follow-up
I got back to the rabbi and I asked: Was he OK with my clarification
he told me YES and then apologized for even suspecting me!

I told him he had every right to clarify with me off-line first and no apology was needed.
His menschlichkeit prevented an unintended argument when were actually in "violent" agreement!

No comments: