Wednesday 20 August 2008

Initially Yours

OK: below plz find sum commonly abbreviated cyber-terms. I.E. people get confused by terms e.g. "FWIW" so I thought it would be a good idea to get it a list started WRT these terms.

FWIW - For what It's Worth
IIRC - If I recall correctly
AFAIK - As far as I know
IMHO -- In my Humble [hubris?] opinion
AIUI - As I understand it
AISI - As I see it
OTOH - On the Other Hand - or sometimes on the ONE Hand [e.g. when used in pairs]
WRT - With Regard To

Some Jewish/Hebrew ones:


KT- Kol Tuv
TSBP - Torah She'b'al Peh
RWO - Right Wing Orthodox
LWO - Left Wing Orthodox
O - Orthodox
C- Conservative
R- Reform
O/C/R - [obvious from above]
LFAD - lefi aniyat da'ati [see AISI or AFAIK above]
HLMM - Halachah Lemoshe MiSinai
OBM - Of Blessed Memory
IM - Igrot[s] Moshe
MB - Mishna Brura
SA - Shulchan Aruch
BY - Bet Yosef
AhS - Aruch Hashulchan

Some Famous Jewish Personalities

RYDS - R Yosef Dov Soloveichik
ROY - Rav Ovadiah Yosef
RMF - Rav Moshe Feinstein

I plan to add to the list on as as needed basis.

KT,
RRW

1 comment:

micha said...

This is why new members of Avodah are pointed to http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/acronyms.shtml

The list marks which are found in general on the internet, which are common to Jewish discussion fora, and which are specifically (or were once specifically) Avodah norm.

-micha