Wednesday 1 June 2011

naomi's question of the day - #16

"naomi's question of the day" is a new feature of the Nishmablog featuring a question for you to ponder, extend and/or respond to through your comments.

*****


June 1, 2011

I find it often un-nerving to listen to the mountainous politicking of religion -- sharing a meal with Orthodox Jews and Jews who once were Orthodox and are now non-observant (which happens more and more frequently), I do not know where to stand. Do I involve myself in the defense of Orthodox practices which I myself accept and adhere to and yet find difficult or confusing? Is there a halachic directive concerning this? (Is silence an option -- but if 'silence denotes acquiesence', both sides will assume my alliance.)

4 comments:

Garnel Ironheart said...

Best thing to do: Slam your fist down on the table and shout "You goddam heathens! Gehinnom's fire is stoked and waiting for your sullied neshamos!" Do it while your mouth is full so you spray food everywhere.
I guarantee that no one will bother you for the rest of your meal.

June said...

I have struggled with that so often.

Is there a problem with being involved in a discussion of halacha with those that are now non-Observant who once were? Can we not show our own misgivings? Is that not the most honest response?

Do the same directives apply to similar discussions with non-Jews?

Garnel Ironheart, your suggested response will most likely result in limiting oneself to meals with only those that share the same opinions as oneself... I find it hard to fathom that result is the ideal...

Garnel Ironheart said...

June, I just like being left alone when I eat.

June said...

I guess that's fair then. :)