Tuesday 21 October 2014

BETHANY S. MANDEL: A "Bill of Rights" for Jewish converts

OPS & BLOGS BETHANY S. MANDEL
A bill of rights for Jewish converts

«Much of what is written about conversion is from the perspective of born-Jews and rabbis. Few converts are willing to speak out. We are afraid. We are victimized. We are threatened and judged. Which is why I've decided to make for myself and other converts a Bill of Rights. These are the things I deserved during my conversion and deserve now, afterwards, but have been too afraid to demand.»
....
«8. The conversion process for those of Jewish heritage should be accelerated and unique. I was born to a Jewish father and was raised Reform. I didn't know I wasn't halachically Jewish until a college Birthright trip (thank you to my tour guide who gently explained that inconvenient truth to me). While in the process I was treated with the same unacceptable dismissiveness and disdain afforded to girls who were converting for marriage. Intermarriage is the biggest threat to Jewish life in America. Help those of patrilineal descent, many of whom try to convert Orthodox, correct the mistakes of their fathers. They should be welcomed back into the Jewish people, not turned away like mutts at a dog show»

A bill of rights for Jewish converts | Bethany S. Mandel | The Blogs | The Times of Israel
http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-convert-bill-of-rights/


Kol Tuv,
RRW

No comments: