Thursday 17 July 2014

Goodbye, New York Times - The Jewish Standard

By Helen Maryles Shankman •
Op-Ed Published: 10 July 2014

It was a fine affair, but now it's over
«Dear New York Times,

It's over between us.

For 30 years, I've been in love with you, NYT.

I met you soon after I moved here from Chicago. Never before had I read such thoughtful, compellingly written journalism, with dispatches from all over the globe that mirrored my politics and my interests. You opened my eyes, New York Times. Back in Chicago, the papers covered only local news, but you showed me there was a larger world out there, filled with enchanting possibilities.

It was love at first sight. From that very first time, I turned to your editorials and op-ed pages to shape my opinions. I wouldn't see a movie or a play until I read your reviews. I chose books based on your recommendations. I tore out your recipes and saved them in a special notebook. It was a thrill when my illustrations appeared in your hallowed Sunday Magazine. The papers that described 9/11 and the election of our first black President are preserved lovingly in my basement.

Many of my modern Orthodox friends and relatives stopped reading you long ago, NYT. You know why. That old bugaboo, your biased anti-Israel reporting. I always defended you. "We have to know all sides of the story," I explained to them. "You need to know how the other guy thinks. You can't just bury your head in the sand, shut yourself away from the world, and only read the opinions of people who agree with you."...»
http://jstandard.com/content/item/goodbye_new_york_times/31038


Kol Tuv,
RRW

No comments: