Thursday 8 November 2012

Learning Questionaire

If you strongly Agree, assign a 10

If you strongly disagree assign a 0 etc.

EG I like learning first thing in the morning. 3

-----------------------------------------

1. Most of all, I like completing a sefer and making a siyyum

2. I like the Mitzvah of learning Lishmah. What I complete is not relevant; my goal is to spend as much time in learning as possible.

---

3. I want to master a Given Torah Topic, EG Sefer Sh'muel or Hilchot Hanukkah. I want Expertise.

4. I want to be exposed to as much breadth of Torah as possible. Superficial is fine as long as I touch all the various aspects of Torah. I want an encyclopedic approach.

---

5. I want to learn how to be independent. My goal is to master learning skills so as to to be able to learn as much as I can on my own

6. I like shiurim. I don't like reading on my own; I prefer listening to a Maggid Shiur digest the material on my behalf. I learn audibly.

------

7. I want to build complex structures so that each session builds on what we just covered last time. I like continuity and long-term development.

8. I want every learning session to begin brand new. I don't want the stress of jogging my memory each time to recall what's been covered

---

Hachanah vs. Hazarah

9 I love preparing

10 I love reviewing

11 I prefer to prepare w/o needing to review

12 I prefer to review w/o needing to prepare

------


Shalom and Best Regards,
RRW

1 comment:

Adam Goldberg said...

RRW - Thank you for posting this. There many d'rachim in limmud hatorah, and they are all great. However, we should always remember what it says in Pirkei Avot:

15. “There are four types of students. One who is quick to understand and quick to forget – his gain is outweighed by his loss. One who is slow to understand and slow to forget – his loss is outweighed by his gain. One who is quick to understand and slow to forget – this is a good portion. One who is slow to understand and quick to forget – this is a bad portion.”

18. “There are four types of students (lit., among those who sit before the Sages) – a sponge, a funnel, a strainer, and a sifter. The sponge absorbs everything. The funnel brings in on this side and brings out on the other. The strainer lets out the wine and retains the lees. The sieve lets out the flour dust and retains the fine flour.”