Sunday 11 November 2012

The Poppy

On this day, Nov. 11, Canada marks Remembrance Day, a day the nation remembers the many who fell in the wars that the nation fought. Nov. 11, of course, is the anniversary of the end of the First World War, which for Canadians has special significance in that this was the first war in which Canada fought as an independent nation.

Throughout the country -- indeed throughout it would seem the British Commonwealth -- preparation for the day is marked by the wearing of a 'poppy' -- a cloth rendering of the flower that, for Canadians, is intertwined with this day and World War 1. It was a Canadian who wrote the poem In Flanders Fields which speaks of the graves of soldiers who fell in this war -- these graves being in fields where the poppies grow. The poppy has thus become a sign of remembrance, of the soldiers who have fallen in defense of the country and its values.

This leads to my reason for posting this note on the blog. It has always been my belief that Jews should emphatically ensure that they participate in this memorial and wear a poppy. Once I see the stands of these 'poppies' available a few weeks before Nov. 11, I make sure to get one and to wear it on my outer coat. I think that it is proper for all Canadians to do so -- and if you watch a Raptors game in the days leading up to Nov. 11, you will notice all the coaches wearing one -- but I think that it specifically important for us as Jews to do so. It is our way of being makker tov, of joining in the respect that we have for those who fought for our freedom -- and in me wearing it noticeably as Jew with my kippa, I show the world that I am appreciative of this fact.

There are times that we must see beyond the narrow concept of rejecting all that is outside of us. There are times for us to show that we see what is outside of us and recognize it for its value.

Take care
RBH



No comments: