Wednesday 19 January 2011

Halachic Methodology 1 -Intro

While learning Bartenura on Mishnah Shabbat 1:4 I noticed several terms that tweaked my curiosity pertaining to this matter. So I became motivated to post this series.

First, BE"H I'm going to discuss some terminology. Some have been discussed here in the past. The point of review is to lump some ideas in a different series and to see how they play out within slightly different contexts.

The order with which I will proceed is to first seek to define those terms and their legitimate Halachic parameters. This is in the process stage and is by no means a finished product.

That said, some hypotheses have already been refined based upon research and education, and so they are not exactly starting on ground level

Here is a set of terms to investigate

1. Nimnu v'gamru
Amdu l'Minyan
2. Hilch'ta
3. Qayma Lan
4. Hilch'ta k'batrai
5. Aharei Rabbim l'Hatot
6. G'zeirah

This gets even trickier! Each term may mean ONE thing in the context of Sha"s and another in the context of Pos'qim!
So therefore, it is incumbent upon us to look at both contexts.

This loosely touches the next level - viz. Meta-Halachah - which RBH and I are on the process of mulling over.

Note: I doubt I will have the time to bring more than a few examples per definition - meaning the posts will eventually need to be expanded to present a more complete picture

Shalom
RRW

2 comments:

micha berger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
micha berger said...

I would refer to Encyc Talmudit, entry "halakhah", in particular sec. 29-end.

29: From a sugyah in the Talmud
30: From the language of the Talmud
31: Where the Talmud gives two presentations
32: After the Talmud

-micha

PS: RRW, let me know if you have access, or want a cut-n-paste. For copyright reasons, I can't post that much text...