Wednesday 31 March 2010

What's on the Menu for Passover?

I probably have a unique view re: eating on Passover

Aside from the ritually required Seder food - Passover to ME is about back to simplicity.

I'm not sure why I feel this way. At any rate Passover foods to me are foods that are basic, require little preparation and are mostly simple foods.

For example
• Potatoes - boiled of baked
• Veggies - cooked or salad style
• Fruits - apples and oranges or the dried ones like raisins and figs,
• Meat - roasted or cooked chicken and meats [EG flanken]

• Hard boiled eggs
• Cheese
Matzah as necessary with butter or margarine
• Nuts raw or roasted

• Fish - fresh or canned EG tuna, sardines, or herring

Many of these foods are quite portable for chol hamo'ed - simplifying travel or going to the office

Beverages:
Water, selzter, coffee, tea, orange or apple juice.

I don't usually stick to this menu. It's just the way I see it. I would probably be happy w/o all the fancy kugels and complex recipes and eat straight food

Friday night dinner might have matzah, wine, soup, roasted chicken, baked sweet potato, another cooked veggie, with a salad on the side [with or without dressing - maybe some lemon juice]

Desert might be dried fruits and some almonds or walnuts along with some tea.

To me getting rid of hametz suggests "simplify"

At any rate, enjoy your family's food this year and have a

Zissen Pesach
RRW

No comments: