Friday 10 December 2010

The Reality TV - and its Antidote

Originally published 12/10/10, 1:17 pm.
Rabbi Dov Fisher wrote:
«The essence of "reality TV" shows is to show people's worst flaws when circumstances or, if necessary, artificial challenges press them to the edge, then to foment even deeper flaws by setting people against each other and filming every word of slander, every pettiness. These programs thrive on scandal and controversy. That is what makes "Good TV."»
This is the essence of Rechilus - the peddling of people's flaws.
Here we have it - a personality type that seeks out the dregs; seeks out lower types of people and seeks out the lowest aspects belonging even to good people.
Reality shows - are they the CAUSE of Rechilut? Or are they merely a popular manifestation of that all-too-human tendency to dwell on the negative?
What's the antidote?

Let's here it from Johnny Mercer
«Gather 'round me, everybody
Gather 'round me while I'm preachin'
Feel a sermon comin' on me
The topic will be sin and that's what I'm ag'in'
If you wanna hear my story
The settle back and just sit tight
While I start reviewin' The attitude of doin' right
You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between»
Indeed. Betzedeq Tishpot Amitecha.

Thank you Rabbi Fisher and thank you Johnny.

RRW


No comments: