How much critical thinking is healthy when confronting a questionable
1. Tur assumes Shabbat Hagadol stems from taking the lamb on the 10th of Nissan
2 SA takes mourning during Sefirat Ho'omer as stemming from R Akiva.
3. Rema says N'siat kappayim is limited to days of Simchah
4 We cover mirrors @ a shiva. The common reason given is due to sheidim.
5. We don't eat nuts on R"H. The folk reason is gemat'ria of "heit".
How do we approach these cases -
1 Since the reason given is silly therefore the underlying practice is silly?
2. We un-critically accept the practices and their reasons as axiomatically correct?
3. We accept the custom as correct and critically question their popular Rationale?
4. We accept the Rationale and we feel free to Revise the practice?